Monday, March 28, 2011

Unseen in Peicai Secondary

I am quite fortunate (unfortunate?) to have only 4 combined Lit students and 1 Pure Lit student in my class. Having a small class means I can actually spend undivided attention on them and it also means that I have to prepare a lot for that 5 students. I can't really do groupwork as I always end up having one group only. Like Dr Whitehead, I used pictures and advertisements to teach them to think critically and bring up the point that things (words) exist for a reason. The assessment is that they have to use the literary devices, such as diction, alliteration to create a commerical on their own. Hence, students can apply the literary devices that they learnt. Next, I get the students to think of a theme, and they have to cut pictures that suit their themes. For example, the theme could be on growing up and the relevant pictures are paths, friends, angles, candles etc. One of the Themes can be on peace. Colour blue, dove can be used to signify peace. This year, I will also be asking students to craft their own Literature questions. A poem or prose is given to the students and they have to craft their questions. The questions can be on themes, characters, the techniques etc. They have to come out with the answer key too. students can be independent in their learning and have higher order thinking skills. After this exercise, Students will (hopefully) pay more attention to the requirement of the question and know what entails a satisfactory answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment