Monday, March 28, 2011

teaching the unseen

I am teaching a Sec 3 class this year. I've not really covered much of the unseen last term as we were more focussed on hitting the ground running with the set text. The few unseen lessons I had with my class were discussions-based. I would give hard copies of selected poems and get students to think and contribute points, bouncing off ideas from one another. It helps greatly that there are only 11 students in my class and most of them are responsive and enthusiastic about lit. I have used songs and videos related to the poem or theme of the poem to activate schema for students. With regard to content knowledge of literary devices and elements of poetry, i tend to do a bit of explicit teaching with examples before letting them apply the skills on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment